TWELVE SONGS




Betty on a bike at home in Meikle Mochrum

Seven of the songs in this selection are from the revue Nothing May Come of It which was staged by Glasgow University Arts Theatre Group in 1965. The others were written around the same time. The punctuation and the format are taken from the copies of the words given to me by Joan.

FIRST LINE TITLES

Nothing may come of it
Love oh love oh love I love you
I cannot send you any flowers
Weave me oh weave me my love my love
Everytime now that I see you face
I’m making all my love songs
Nothing to sing about
I’ve been taken over by life
So you’ve noticed now
I need a rich part – time lover
When I say ‘you owe me nothing’
I have just made you a love song darling


NOTHING MAY COME OF IT

Nothing may come of it
Don’t I know that
Nothing has come of it
Often before
About twice a year
To be precise
Nothing has come of it
But . . . it . . . was . . . nice

Oh nothing may come of it
We may retire
Never at any point
Having caught fire
Nothing may come of it
But meanwhile
Let . . . us. . . smile

Oh nothing may come of it
Both of us know
These things may whither
These things may grow
But growth is more difficult
Withering quick
Oh nothing may come of it
We both might get  . . . sick

Nothing may come of it
Darling I know
But your eyes
are the strangest
Your wrists
are the strongest
your effect
at a distance
is the most
marvelous
I know
But nothing may come of it
Something may
Vanish from it
Something could happen
We both of us know

Oh if something should come of it
little my darling
If something should last of it
little my dear
remember
we’re lucky
It hardly ever happens
BUT something may
come of it
This magic year



LOVE OH LOVE OH LOVE I LOVE YOU 

Love oh love oh love I love you
You’re telephone voice makes me wakeful for you
Can do nothing for you but oh love love you
Nowhere with you oh love love you
Far off from you sad sighing for you
Lonely love love I love you
Hush my loving love I’m not near you
Cease weeping my heart can hear you
My little love oh love my only
Best love I love you lonely love lonely



I CANNOT SEND YOU ANY FLOWERS  

I cannot send you any flowers
My songs are sped
And you’re their wings
I have no presents left to send
in a world made up of things
I cannot send you any flowers
I send my days instead
I cannot send you any flowers
I send today instead



WEAVE ME ON WEAVE ME MY LOVE MY LOVE

Weave me oh weave me my love, my love
a tissue of beautiful lies.
Tell me you never will leave me, love,
that you seek you soul in my eyes.

Weave me, oh weave me, my love, my love
your tissue of beautiful lies;
tell me you will not leave me, love
when you’ve found your soul in my eyes.



EVERYTIME NOW THAT I SEE YOUR FACE

Everytime now that I see your face
I believe again in my dream
I thought I could never love a soul
That my heart was a shallow stream become
That my heart was a shallow stream

But the night is soft when I share your room
The sadness gone from the day
And nothing again in all my life
Can take my joy away

But the night is soft when I share your room
The sadness gone from the day
And even if you leave me now
You can’t take my joy away



I'M MAKING ALL MY LOVE SONGS

I’m making all my love songs
when it’s long long over
when it’s long long over
dear

Why am I making you love songs
when it’s long long over
when you’ve got yourself off
miles from here?

I don’t know – so help me – I don’t know
but myself – let’s face it
I’ve got nowhere to go
I hang on by the teeth here
singing - -
for you - - long over
long long over
over long long
ago

I’m making all my love songs
when it’s long long over
when it’s long long over
dear



NOTHING TO SING ABOUT

Nothing to sing about
getting along
very pedestrian-lee
people in aeroplanes
singing their song
continue to fly over me

Something I’ve got that they’ve not
Something they’ve got that I’ve not
Something I’ve got that they’ve not

Nothing to sing about



I'VE BEEN TAKEN OVER BY LIFE

I’ve been taken over by life
I’ve been taken over by life
Do you see what I’m at?
They’ve opened up my one and only heart, baby
and they’ve sweated it out with a knife
There’s not a drop of salt left in me
to savour my personal affaires –
like there’s this couple downstairs fighting
and their kids awash and off key with their fears.
I’m taken over by other people’s lives, baby
I’m all washed up with their cares.
No-one –  but no-one – turns to me to love them
All I do is set them free . . See?
Don’t be all taken over by Life. Little baby
See what They’ve done to me.



SO YOU'VE NOTICED NOW

So you’ve noticed now
I’ve not been around
Yes you’ve noticed I’ve been crying
but you do no know
how it was at all
I’ve come back to live
I’ve been dying

No it was not you
It was not me
It was the way that life is always spinning
It hit me fast between my eyes
I had to find my own beginning

Yes, you’ve noticed now
you’ve missed me a bit
you’ve found there’s no one quite to replace me
I am sad for you
but I can’t come now
I’ve just come to life
I’ve been dying

No, I’d not left the place
No, not emigrated
No, not in the huff even
- nothing like it.
I’ve been shut up alone
for a hundred nights
As you’ve noticed now
I’ve been . . . crying

No it was not your fault
no not you at all
I was in love with this marvelous man I knew
- at least I thought I was –
and I thought I knew –
but it was only you
and I didn’t know you



I NEED A RICH PART-TIME LOVER

I need a rich part – time lover
to pay my full- time rent
I worked my living in the winter
In less than summer my money’s spent
I’ve got so many causes – you wouldn’t credit!
all needing their ten per cent

I’ll be no man’s sleep – in woman
My young life’s only lent
I’ll get me a part time lover
to pay my full time rent.


When I say ‘you owe me nothing’
oh . .I’m lying honey
When I say ‘forget me baby’
I am daring you
When I say ‘she’s better for you’
I just wish she wasn’t
When I say ‘but be happy’
I’m cursing.

When I say ‘you’ll miss me man’
I’m still hoping
When I say ‘and you’re a heel’
that’s what I’m thinking
When I whisper ‘get out of my house’
I’m screaming
When I say ‘and stay out too’
I’m  . . probably dying.

When I say nothing at all
then you’ve left me
When I start talking to myself
you’re not here to hear me
When I’m long done caring
the sun’s setting
When I start crying
I’m finished.


I HAVE JUST MADE YOU A LOVE SONG DARLING

I have just made you a love song darling
I have just made you . . a love song
It was so easy
It might have been . . difficult
if I had wanted a crown
but I wanted to make you a love song darling
I wanted to make you a song
that would sing

I didn’t  . . do it
but . . I wanted to do it
That  . . is the  . .important thing!

I wanted to make you a love song darling
I wanted to make you a song that would sing
I wanted to match the blue in the sky
the birds in the air
the light in your . . eye
I wanted to make you a love song darling
The thing’s impossible
but . . my heart
does . . sing!
So it’s easy to make you a love song darling
It’s easy to make you a song that will sing
All I need is this . .feeling, darling
after the winter
the . . ages long winter
to find you,
the Spring!

Oh I wish I could make you a love song darling
I wish I could really sing
but the morning
the sunshine
the trees
and the bird’s song
are making your love song
for me to sing



The link to the post mentioned in the introduction to this blog is
http://sosaidthesap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/joan-ure-dilemma.html